Baked Stuffed Eggplant
3 medium-sized eggplants
2 Tbls olive oil
1½ pounds of ground turkey (you can use lean beef)*
One, 16 oz can of diced Italian tomatoes
One, 8oz can of tomato sauce (I like the fire-roasted ones)
½ tsp minced garlic
½ tsp oregano
½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1. Trim the stem end of the eggplants.
2. Cut out the center flesh but be careful not to cut through to the shell. Place the shells in a greased baking dish.
3. Chop up the flesh. Set aside.
4. In a heavy skillet: heat the oil (medium heat) and add the meat. Cook for 10 minutes or so. Drain any visible fluids. Add the chopped eggplant and mix well. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, and condiments.
5. Simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes. Take off the heat.
6. Stir in the cheese until just melted.
7. Fill eggplant shells with the tomato mixture.
8. Bake, uncovered at 325° for 30 minutes. Sprinkle more cheese on top for the last two minutes. Cook until melted.
* NOTE: If you want to add in more fiber and protein, add in one cup of cooked lentils to the mix. Or sub in 3 cups cooked lentils for the meat, if you want to make this a vegetarian dish.